Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Books on Information Security

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () infracritical com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:37:52 -0600

I would check out books on the following topics:

- forensics management and IT forensics investigation
- intrusion detection/prevention management
- some practical coding (shell scripting and basic language coding)
- risk management (includes conducting assessments with analysis)
- project management
- critical infrastructure protection
- homeland security (not necessarily CIP, but ties into it)
- emergency management and preparedness
- bioterrorism and biosecurity (general)
- network security (routers, switches, et. al)
- information security and policy management
- disaster recovery planning (DRP, general)
- business continuity planning (BCP, now called "COOP", also general)
- antivirus protection
- ID theft and protection
- spam protection and email security
- policy documentation
- IT governance (ISO 17799, COBIT, FIPS, FISMA, HSPD-12, et. al)

There are TONS of good books out there, even as aged as they are, are timeless as they offer a good *base* and
fundamental understanding on "what is 'security'".  The list is too large to mention here.

-rad