Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security and EOL issues (was RE: WMF Exploit Patch released)

From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel () shellworld net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:32:24 -0500 (EST)

Why not set up paid upgrade systems using annual contracts? The commitment on the contract is to continue to support as long as contracts are paid with the restriction that the needed support mst be technically feasible and as timely notification as is possible when support is not technically feasible will be provided. I remember one company that had in its contracts once it provided a system that the user's systems which included both software and hardware would be kept current for the term of the contract. Perhaps in the future if hardware costs decrease enough, you won't buy software anymore but systems that is an operating system comes with what it will run on and the vendor acquires the responsibility to keep you current for the term of your contract. For now no problem for well-funded corporates could be same would be possible for individuals in future.