Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:10:40 +1100

Al,
Strange that you should pick on architecture. We have the fall of a piece of major architecture today which as killed a
large number of people. The 2nd by the same person. The twin towers failed due to structural deficiencies more than the
planes. Do you wish for me to quote the statistics on architectural failure? They are greater than you may think.

You seem to make the simplification that all code can be written correctly and tested. That no matter how long and
complex there is a way of determining the error rate - this is wrong and I shall get to this in the post. I will even
help you develop an argument that you may use to dispute me.

The majority of libraries used in development (excluding open source eg Linux) are complied object code. Are you
expecting that the world stop using all code unless they have the source? That all source be checked?

Dijkstra developed the method "correct by construction". He also did extensive work on the mathematical proof of
algorithms. Please read the works below.

Kert Godel, Alan Turning and Alonzo Church (GTC) did work which resulted in "Computability Theory". They discovered
that certain basic problems cannot be solved by computers. Cohen, Hollingworth and Dijkstra all developed this theory
further.

Now I stated I would get to error determination. GTC demonstrated in computational theory that it is not possible to
create a machine that can determine wether a mathematical statement is true or false. All code and programming is a
mathematical statement or algorithm. The determination of the codes function is a mathematical proof (see Cohen and
Dijkstra).

As it is not possible for either an automata or turning machine to determine the correctness of the programme, it is
not possible to determine the effects of code.

Dijkstra's started work on formal verification (what you are calling for) in the 1970's. Formal verification was the
prevailing opinion at the time. This was that one should first write a program and then provide a mathematical proof of
correctness.

"The Cruelty of Really Teaching Computer Science" (Dijkstra, 1988) saw Dijkstra trying to push computable correctness.
This missed the need for engineers to compromise on the one hand with the physical world and on the other with cost
control.

This is the issue. To move ahead and develop code that people want we can not complete mathematical software
verifications. No machine (at least yet known) can verify code. The term machine refers to the computer science idea of
a machine - not a physical item.

To state that all code should be verified would be great for myself. I am a mathematician. Computers can not verify
code (see the theory of computation). This would make my mathematical skills in greater demand and help next time I go
for a raise.

I seem to be adding facts to the discussion. Dijkstra, Turing et al are the people who created  the foundations of
computer science.

Please feel free to add comment on the use of finite state machines, labelled transition systems, Petri nets, timed
automata, hybrid automata, process algebra, formal semantics of programming languages such as operational semantics,
denotation semantics, Hoare's logic or any other existing method of computational verification.

I have attached a paper of Dijkstra's. This paper could act as a foundation for your argument. Dijkstra argues for
formal verification against software engineering. Please feel free to build on the argument - if you manage to come up
with something that is verifiably valid not only will you get to have one up on me you may be remembered in years to
come in the computer science discipline.

Regards,
Craig

<attachment stripped, see http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd10xx/EWD1036.PDF>

Cohen, Fred, "Protection Testing", http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=818/sdm9809c/, September 1998

Cohen, Fred, 1997, "Managing Network Security, Penetration Testing?", Available from
http://all.net/journal/netsec/1997-08.html

Cohen, Fred, 1996, "National Info-Sec Technical Baseline, Intrusion Detection and Response" Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory, Sandia National Laboratories December, 1996

Cohen, Fred, 1992, "Operating System Protection, Through Program Evolution" research for ASP, PO Box 81270, Pittsburgh,
PA 15217, USA

Dijkstra, Edsger W. (1976). A Discipline of Programming. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall

Hollingworth, D., S. Glaseman and M. Hopwood, "Security Test and Evaluation Tools: an Approach to Operating System
Security Analysis," P-5298, The Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA., September 1974.