Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: What addresses to put on my NEW black list?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:05:31 -0800

  Unfortunately, more and more traffic is coming in on ports
80 and 443.  [Don't you love that for many application
developers, "security engineering" consists of making sure
that it's hard for network security to enforce policy against
the app?]
  I'm forced to conclude that even stateful packet filter
firewalls will be useless within 3-5 years, if they're not
already, and that the hope for network-based policy enforcement
lies with SSL proxies that know about upper-level protocols
and even object types.  [Blue Coat's latest effort looks good
to me -- I'd like to hear about other options that are out
there or coming up.]

David Gillett