Security Basics mailing list archives

PGP encrypted email - basic questions

From: "Dave Moore" <dave.j.moore () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:00:43 -0600

Hello all-

I'm trying to get started with PGP and there are some concepts I am
having trouble with.

I understand that a recipient of a PGP signed/encrypted message will
have to get my public key to decrypt said message. What I don't
understand is how this is carried out in a seemingly automatic fashion
for many of the email messages I receive, e.g. postings from mailing
lists, in which I see the 'BEGIN PGP SIGNED.. ' and the signature at
the end. I didn't decrypt these messages, and I have no idea how they
got decrypted.

When I encrypt a message and send it to myself, the message I see is
decidedly not decrypted. I did notice this header..

url=http://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5847D5CF

in the outgoing encrypted test message I sent, which leads me to
suspect that it might have something to do with this process, but
still, my message is not decrypted.

How does this work?
Dave
--
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Heinlein