Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IPsec VPN question

From: "Lall, Navneet Singh" <nlall () ipolicynetworks com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:40:36 +0530

There are many possibilities; it depends up the attacker's creativity, the role compromised machine is playing in the
network and its trust relationship it has with other machines.

Attacker can intercept VPN traffic; he can do this in two ways. Firstly, by MITM. But this will introduce a lot of
delay if he is geographically far from the targets. This can work very well for internal attacks (ARP poisoning).
Secondly, as I said previously he can install root kit and get all the copies of the data exchanges unencrypted. This
can be achieved in many ways from simple to very complicated to detect. My personal favorite is to send out data in tcp
acks; using the unused places in the header. This can take long and may become useless for large amount of data. But it
is extremely difficult to detect and even if you do it will be too late.

Other attacks could be exploiting the trust relationship which compromised machine enjoys. We have to keep in mind that
this compromised machine is a server and workstations almost never have any reason to look at server suspiciously.
Databases, product vobs etc could be stolen. Attacker can exploit the company's mail server too (and you can wonder
what this can do!!).

And finally if it doesn't have trust relationship with some other machines then what? Let others suffer too, DOS. But
this is not what an intelligent attacker will do.

All in all attackers can bring down a company on its knees.

Although I have yet to see these attacks in action; but I don't have any reason to believe that no one has already
trying to do this or may have done it.

One last comment I would like to make is internal attacks could prove more dangerous than external because when we
think about attack we without giving a thought look outwards.

Navneet Singh

Time is what keeps everything from happening at once