Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: dd for windows and imaging a 40Gb drive

From: "Geert VAN ACKER" <geert.vanacker () pandora be>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:06:07 +0000

http://www.lnx4n6.be/index.php?sec=Documentation&page=netcatdd

Kind regards,

Geert
----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: Murad Talukdar [mailto:talukdar_m () subway com]
Verzonden: woensdag, december 6, 2006 02:18 AM
Aan: security-basics () securityfocus com
Onderwerp: dd for windows and imaging a 40Gb drive

Hi all,
I need to estimate how long it would take to image a 40gb drive with a
single partition on it using dd. (I guess this is more dependant on write
speeds and throughput than anything else)
Also, what would be the syntax of the output file be if I were to image
across the network? Or can dd be used by using a crossover cable and mapping
drives first?
But, if I were to map a drive to the machine in question, does that
'interfere' with the drive in any way?
I'm planning to use dd for windows-which I can get to work fine for
files/folders on my local machine but am struggling over the network because
I'm not sure of the syntax.
No man dd on windows.

Detect Malicious Web Content and Exploits in Real-Time.
Anti-Virus engines can't detect unknown or new threats.
LinkScanner can. Web surfing just became a whole lot safer.

http://www.explabs.com/staging/promotions/xern_lspro.asp?loc=sfmaildetect