Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Memory dump

From: "Jon Wallace" <jon () b69ca com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:57:30 -0500

Hi Ankur,

In replying to your email, I'm assuming your using Windows. You can set a registry value to allow you to press CTRL and Scroll Lock twice which will force a blue screen, and therefore a crash dump.

The Microsoft Windows Debugging site tells you how to do this along with giving you a load of information about analyzing the dumps: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

I also found this link which tells you exactly how to do it: http://www.hackwire.com/comments.php?id=51&catid=9

To look at your dumps, just use tools like STRINGS from SysInternals - you'll be amazed at the information you can see, passwords, usernames, private data etc...

Have Fun,
Jon Wallace

AppSense - http://www.appsense.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <divinepresence () gmail com>