Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mac Anti-Virus

From: Dave Ockwell-Jenner <lists () solar-nexus com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:38:21 -0400

For a firewall, why not use the one built into the OS? Mac OS X features a very simple to use software firewall as a standard part of the OS. You'll find it under the System Preferences, under the 'Sharing' icon.

As for Anti-Virus, you'll find the Mac itself doesn't have much in the way of viruses that target it. However, it's always prudent to help protect those with whom you share files that might not be so lucky. Personally, I've had good luck with ClamXav - based upon the ClamAV software, but with a nice Mac-friendly GUI. It's quite basic, but for scanning files, it will do the job nicely and keep itself up- to-date!

Thanks,
--
Dave Ockwell-Jenner
Solar Nexus Solutions