Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Basic NAT / Firewall Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:21:18 -0700

  This is almost certainly up to the firewall admin, how much
the firewall filters and how much it forwards to the NATted
destination.

  A very basic question is:  Is the firewall doing port-forwarding
(traffic to port ZZ gets translated and forwarded to the server),
or static NATting (non-filtered(!) traffic for public address x.x.x.x
gets translated and forwarded to private address y.y.y.y)?

  Also open is what the firewall does with a filtered port --
does it silently drop the traffic, or respond via ICMP and,
if the latter, does it provide the *same* response that a
blocked port at the host does?  (Probably not, since the
source address will be of the firewall rather than the NATted
destination....)  Some firewall models offer the admin more
choice in this regard than others.

David Gillett