Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: dd vs windows...

From: bloo () inkme org
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:08:34 -0400

if you are doing this as part of something that may ever ever ever need to be defended in a legal arena (even just to be used as a threat by an attorney) then you need to take quite a few steps to make it a legitimate image. you need to keep record of the chain of custody of the hard drive in question, you need to run an md5 hash of the drive before you dd it, run the hash after you dd it, etc.... long story short, you should have a second system to do the imaging and if at all possible, don't put the imaged drive back into service. put the image on another drive and return that one. keep the original in a safe deposit box somewhere.

there are numerous texts available to cover that aspect of imaging. just remember that at that point, you are assuming the responsibility for every dollar involved in any potential legal action not to mention opening yourself up for liability should something go wrong. this may sound extreme but keep in mind, should this image be used to fire somebody, they have every right to sue the employer for something like wrongful termination and everything you have done for a little internal investigation will be moved into open court.

hope that helps.

b.