Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Content Filtering Question

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:28:16 -0400

From my understanding of content filtering, unless there is a third party proxy on another server in your network, your Cyber Patrol software is performing this proxy filtering on your machine. This means that the site is downloaded and then parsed for inappropriate keywords. A certain weight of keywords is calculated and the site is displayed or an error message is displayed depending on the
keyword score.
I would think that Cyber Patrol installs itself as exactly this, a content filtering proxy server that all users connect through. Therefore, all content unless part of a blacklist
will be downloaded to check to see if the content requested will pass.

I hope this helps.

Sean Swayze
PCSC Information Services