Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?

From: "Alice Bryson" <abryson () bytefocus com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:26:21 +0800

Yes, i agree that.
How about UDP, if an udp port firewalled, how does NMAP know it?

2006/4/13, Nathaniel Hall <nathaniel.d.hall () gmail com>:
I am assuming you are using a DROP rule on your firewall.  NMAP knows
that if it does not receive a response for a TCP connection then it is
firewalled.  Dropping traffic at a firewall violates RFC and makes it
much easier to know when there is a firewall between the scanner and the
end host.  I recommend using REJECT

-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-unreachable

That will conform to RFC (I'm pretty sure) and will make it harder to
detect a firewall with NMAP.

Alexey Eremenko wrote:

Hi all !

I know that "nmap" can show open ports. But nmap also shows my
firewalled ports !
How?

Since some servers (like apache) are firewalled with iptables, how can
nmap know wherever
my system run the service with open port, filtered port or doesn't run
it at all ?

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA

Don't leave your confidential company and customer records un-protected.
Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprise(TM) for 30 days for FREE with no
obligation. See why so many companies trust Spy Sweeper Enterprise to
eradicate spyware from their networks.
FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise

http://www.webroot.com/forms/enterprise_lead.php

--
http://www.lwang.org
lwang.org provides online base64 encode and decode, crc32 md5 and sha1