Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?

From: "Burton Strauss" <Burton () FelisCatus org>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:39:44 -0500

nmap uses the standard connection mechanisms (tcp or udp) for the default
testing.  Thus, say for port 80, it tries to create a connection.

Depending on how your firewall handles this nmap can figure out that there
is SOMETHING there - if you send back and RST packet to tear down the
connection... If you really want to stealth the ports, set your firewall (or
iptables) to DROP unwanted packets - this doesn't convey any information.

-----Burton