Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to....

From: "Greg" <security-basics () pchandyman com au>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:47:37 +1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Bresciani" <jacob () bresciani ca>
To: "Greg" <security-basics () pchandyman com au>
Cc: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:31 AM
Subject: Re: How to....

This has been capable since 95 I think, the location of program the shortcut is linked to and the location of the icon that is displayed are 2 different settings in the shortcut.

Heck you don't even have to change one of the users icons, just make your own and use a known system icon and bundle it with your trojan and let it overwrite the existing one.

Obviously I wasn't aware of it. I never looked for something like that to be honest. C'est la vie.

However, it is good to see someone gets the point that it CAN be a problem. Nothing like clearing a problem one day only to have it come back the next day and not know how it got in the first time or got in again. At least this is one more thing that we can check.

Greg.