Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard drive encryption in windows

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:32:25 -0400

EFS works without AD and without a CA. Without those the EFS certs are
untrusted (not a problem with EFS or any use of EFS) and EFS certs are
given 100 year useful lifes. If Certificate Services is installed, it
will give EFS certs a 1 or 2 life.

As far as EFS is concerned, the most useful thing about having a CA is
the ability to automatically back up all EFS keys, without end-user
intervention.

EFS is great, but if you use EFS, back up your EFS private keys.  Don't
use it without doing that.