Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Group permissions changed

From: "Nicholson, Dale" <DNicholson () APACMail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:44:02 -0500

On some *nix flavors chown allows you to change the group to whatever you
enter even when the group does not really exist.  I don't know if you are on
one of those, but you can check by trying to chown the files to some other
group and see.

chown larry:madeupgroup foot.php

If this returns "chown: unknown group id madeupgroup" then you might want to
get more concerned.  If it allows you to change to a made up group name it
means this might have been done on accident.

In any case you can at least change the group back to the correct one.

I have not heard of an exploit that does this but that does not mean it
doesn't exist.

Dale