Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Measuring Risk Assessment

From: security () calculateddecision com
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:07:04 -0700

I'm not sure how applicable this is, but its an idea.

It's going to be difficult to show "improvements" in quality once a
process is under control.  Because generally, the idea is to maintain
that control rather than make huge changes.  So as things get closer to
perfect there are fewer major improvements to be cited.

You really can't show that you're fixing things that aren't broke.

The only thing that I can think of as support would be to work on
percentages of what risks are faced at present.  Or, somehow show
effects on management overhead, annual spending related to risk, or
other dollar values.

Why is the initial risk reduction not useable?  Will the BS7799 not make
the firm available for other contracts?
(I would think if he could sell them on how it would affect the bottom
line he'd be in.)

-Anthony Towry