Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Apples / osX

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:24:28 -0400

Paul Day wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, McKinley, Jackson wrote:
With osX being UNIX "based" and from what I can see some of the more
popular stuff should port with a little work.

s/"some"/"just about all". All my favourite Open-source tools will compile
on Mac OS X no problems. If you want a decent packaging environment, fink
is based on Debian's dpkg and is great if you want to keep your tools
up-to-date.

I have to say that fink seemed odd to me for someone coming from the Unix world... it works but I found Darwin Ports to be much more useful, they're more like the ports collection on OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and for security tools they are often more up-to-date. Personal preference.

Many people like to get all their security tools from a port, but you have to wait for the port to be updated to the latest version, and you lose a certain amount of control like configure options.

Most tools are probably better compiled on your own. With Apple's developer tools (on the OS X disc) you get GCC 4 and all the libraries, plus Apple's optimized X-Windows for unix GUI apps. All you're probably missing are some dependencies, which you can get easily using darwin ports. Darwin feels like normal BSD to me, with a nice OS X desktop or just X when you need it. I like to use darwin ports for something like gtk+, and then go compile tools like nessus on your own. Saves time but keeps you in control.

Cheers,

kelly