Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: LM and NTLM Hashes

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:19:08 -0400

Windows stored hashes (LM or NTLM) are never sent across the network.
Windows uses Challenge/Response handshaking protocols. The hashes are
involved, but are not sent at anytime between the client and the server.
The process is more complicated than you are thinking it is.

You can try Chapters 2 and 3 here for start.
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Ebooks/SecurityPermissions/

But I've recently written an article for them to appear in Windows
Security Administrator magazine that is even better and more
concise...but I don't know if it is published yet. Check
www.windowsitpro.com for more info.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, CHFI, TICSA
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****