Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "Burton Strauss" <Burton () FelisCatus org>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:56:20 -0500

The CALEA expansion was published in the federal register last week as a
Proposed FCC rule making.

http://www.telecomlawblog.com/fcc-daily-909-federal-register-notice-of-voip-
calea-order-rulemaking.html says:

"The Order confirmed that facilities-based broadband Internet access
providers and "interconnected VoIP providers" (voice over Internet Protocol,
or VoIP, providers that offer services permitting users to receive calls
from, and place calls to, the public switched network) are subject to the
Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act ("CALEA") and must be able
to accommodate law enforcement wiretaps within 18 months of the effective
date of the Order (see the September 26, 2005 DWT FCC Daily)."

More ominous:

"The Commission found that the definition of "telecommunications carrier" in
the CALEA can encompass providers of services that are not classified as
"telecommunications services" under the Communications Act."

<snip />

"The rule is effective November 14, 2005. Newly covered entities and
providers of newly covered services must comply with CALEA within 18 months
of November 14, 2005. Comments on the FNPRM are due by November 14, 2005,
and replies by December 12, 2005."

For info on CALEA, see http://www.fcc.gov/calea/

-----Burton