Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anonymize internet access

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:16:52 -1000

This one:
http://www.hiproxy.com/rip.htm

returns:
Your real and public IP addresses are the same - 66.235.184.242
You are not using a proxy server.<<

which is findnot's SSH Tunnel via PuTTY.

My eyes are glazed over...what does this mean (from the above site)?

Note: Java IP detection will work through a direct Internet connection or a regular (HTTP/Socks) proxy server set in
your browser.
Web-based proxies and desktop proxy applications will prevent Real IP detection or display inaccurate results. <<

FindNot's SSH tunnel is on port 80...does that make it a "Web-based proxy"?

Thanks,

--Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Alexander" <lowbassman () gmail com>