Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: seeking advice on how to research adware/spyware/identity the ft software

From: Ed Hudson <ehudson () safenet-inc com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:38:44 -0400

VMWare is your friend for this type of activity.  I would suggest that your
host machine run a different OS than the guests.  Since most worms, Trojans,
spyware, etc. run on Windows, I would recommend using Linux as the VMWare
host and Windows as the guest OS.  This way, if the worm tries to spread,
there is little chance of a Windows worm infecting the Linux host.  It's
also wise to have antivirus software and a good firewall policy set up on
the host.