Security Basics mailing list archives

abusable products with legit uses

From: "Dave Aronson (SecBasics)" <sfbasics2dave () davearonson com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:35:31 +0000

cc [mailto:cc () belfordhk com] writes:

I find it a little 'strange' that the
government should be cracking down on this type of thing.  There
are certainly a lot of products under the sun that fit the
description of "<product x> can be used for both lawful and
unlawful purposes".   Wouldn't this open a larger can of
worms, so to speak?

Or am I just misreading this whole thing?

Whether or not you are misreading the government's intentions specifically about keyloggers, the larger can (about
abusable products) has been open for a long time.  Whe a large proportion of something's use, *as perceived by the
general public*, is criminal, overly dangerous, or at least somehow distasteful, and the average person does not use or
enjoy it themselves, there is a strong tendency for the general public to want it tightly regulated, or even banned.
I'm sure we can all think of our own favorite example.  (Let's skip the long, useless, heated political threads that
most of our own favorite examples would probably spawn.)

Now back to keyloggers.  The *marketing*, at least as far as I've seen (mainly via spam, adding to the distaste
factor), is usually aimed at those who suspect their spouses of cheating, and will therefore (the makers hope) spy on
them without permission.  The *reporting* is almost always about spying on someone without permission (usually having
installed it via a trojan horse), and worse yet then using the information thus gained for fraudulent purposes.  Thus
the *public perception* is probably that they're nothing but a tool for fraudsters and those willing to intrude on
people's privacy based on suspicions.  (Let's skip the debate over whether there should be any such privacy in a
marriage.)  The *reality* is probably far tamer, but I have no hard data.  Anybody?  At least there definitely are
*some* legit uses for them, such as law enforcement, employee monitoring (again, let's skip the debate over how much
privacy there *should* be), etc.

-Dave