Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security products to lock a user out of their computer

From: Adam Jones <ajones1 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:46:21 -0700

Providing a little more information about your environment would go a
long way towards helping answer this question more intelligently. I
will try to answer it anyways, but some of what is here may not apply
to you at all.

What kind of environment are you operating in? With any kind of
directory services structure it is a simple matter of
locking/disabling their account. You could also remove the system from
the directory, which would disrupt the trust relationship between the
computer and your directory server.

If you are trying to keep them off of a laptop that they physically
possess and can log on to locally, the best way to fix it is to take
the laptop away from them. Although there probably are other options
available, this is the only one that I would guarantee to keep them
out of the computer.
-Adam