Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VMWare & WinXP

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:18:00 -0500 (EST)

So you're trying to install the same copy of XP in the
VM as is already running on the machine itself?
If this is true, you can't do that. You need a valid
Windows (or other OS) license for each VM. VM's are
treated as completey separate machines and must be
licensed that way.

Kenton

--- "Jason T. Hallahan" <jthallah () gmail com> wrote:

Hello and good day,

I recently purchased a laptop from Dell with Win XP
Professional on it
for the purpose of setting up a VMWare virtual
network for
honeypot/pen-testing purposes. However, when I go to
install my new
copy of XP (which is the host OS of my box) in a
virtual machine, it
won't activate. I tried calling Microsoft and going
through the
automated process on the phone, but it says my
installation is
invalid. Is there any way around this (I am not
trying to cheat
Microsoft here) or any way to speak to a Microsoft
representation to
explain my situation? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you and best regards!

- Jason