Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: To chroot or not to chroot?

From: Josh Tolley <eggyknap () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:34:45 -0700

The question here is "Is it worth the effort it would take to chroot
everything?" How much time/effort would it take for you to get
everything chrooted? Is the security of the site and the extra
security chrooting everytihing would add worth spending the time?
Should you instead just chroot some services? It's all a question of
risk vs. cost. As to your "Do I really make any difference" question,
of course you do. Perhaps it's easier to break into a web server
running, say, PHP, than to break into one serving only static pages,
but still, once you've broken in, you're still chrooted. It's a very
effective security measure, and if it's worth it for the site in
question, yes, do it.

-Josh Tolley