Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure disposal of backup tapes

From: "murad" <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:43:36 +0000 GMT

I had thought of the degausserbut a reading more and more stories of it not working -maybe lazy data disposal
companies. I decided to try the shredding method with one and found that the estimated 2000 pieces that the tape became
would hopefully prevent anyone from reading anything from it. I can already hear the more paranoid of you saying that a
3.0 letter agency could easily reconstruct it but I have to go with 'most likely' here.
Love the bonfire idea though. I'll see if finance will approve some beer too.