Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure disposal of backup tapes

From: "John R. Dennison" <jrd () gerdesas com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:31:59 -0600

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:37:35AM +1000, Murad Talukdar wrote:
Hi I wanted to get some ideas from everyone for secure disposal of
DDS/TRAVAN/DLT backup tapes.
How do you burn yours?

        Depending upon the local I would tend to think that destruction
        by fire would be against local codes due to the materials involved.

        Would not a strong magnetic source work instead?

                                                        John

--
"I'm sorry but our engineers do not have phones."
As stated by a Network Solutions Customer Service representative when asked to

"My other computer is your windows box."
                                     Ralf Hildebrandt