Security Basics mailing list archives

Outgoing IPSEC

From: Securi Net <securinet2004 () yahoo ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:37:51 -0500 (EST)

Hello List members,

I have a question on risks associated with allowing
outgoing IPSEC traffic on a firewall.

I have a contractor who works onsite within our
network and needs outgoing port 500 opened  on our
firewall for him to vpn into his company network.

I would like to know about the risks involved in
facilitating such access outside, as I have heard some
talk about security issues around split tunnelling. As
far as I can understand it, the only threat to our
network from the outside would be if someone on the
outside tries to spoof a session inside using an
existing outward connection.

Can anyone shed some light on what I shud be concerned
about here.

CP