Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall/Router: Dedicated Server or Appliance?

From: André Gil <andregil () vianw pt>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 02:14:41 -0000

Well on my opinion that depends on what features you need on the firewall.

As for the router I guess it's mostly a matter of taste.

Anyway, what will the firewall protect?

You say the network has 1000 users, but will it protect a mission critical system? Or just some servers? Are those systems that need protection under constant attacks?

I guess those are some questions you should try to answer and then, after carefull thinking checking what kind of features you need on the firewall.

After that I guess you should go and do a market search. Then you should consider the cost of mounting a dedicated server only for routing/firewall. Then after that and after every features taken into consideration, you could devise a better answer.

I'm assuming your institution has limited budget and that you want to maximize the features and extensibility of the solution and minimize the cost.

André Gil

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nuno Marques" <nmarques () di fc ul pt>