Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX with SSH enabled on external port for maintenance

From: Alloishus BeauMains <all0i5hu5 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:09:24 -0600

You can tunnel everything through SSH as well as VPN. VPN just closes
down local network access if specified. VPN can use group
authentication, but this seems to be just like an authentication key
much like the one that SSH has.

If you use an authentication key (This is an encrypted physically
different file you have to load on your outside machines) and then an
appropriate passphrase to go with it. SSH already encrypts the
traffic, just like VPN.

I am not sure how much VPN offers, additionally to this. Especially
not for the money, since SSH (with SSHD) is completely free and can be
loaded on any system.

So, to me, it seems like you would be paying for, or supplying more
equipment only to get the "disconnected from rest of LAN" portion of
VPN.

Anyhow, there is my take on it. You can make SSH as secure as you want
it to be through those methods I mentioned.