Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP native encryption

From: "Robert Hines" <b.hines () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 07:43:38 -0400

This is true if the Administrator had the foresight to use the cipher /R
command to make a file recovery key and install it under the Administrator
account prior to any user encrypting a file.

Windows would then use this key along with any user account generated key
when encrypting files thus giving the Administrator a backdoor to the
confidential information. Muck like the private key knows the backdoor to
any file that was encrypted using its matching public key.

Bob