Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: Symantec LiveUpdate and User Rights on Win2000

From: Joe George <j.george () conservation org>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:56:19 -0400

Greetings all,

We are currently in the process of removing Administrative rights from end users.  As you may already know, when
someone logs in with only User rights, they are no longer able to install AV definitions through the LiveUpdate
feature.  This is one of the most crucial things we'd like our clients to be able to access in case they are on travel
or working remotely.  A Trojan/virus has less of a chance of being initialized under user rights, but it is important
that the user be able to maintain the definitions if needed.  Is there a tweak out there?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Joe George
IT Analyst