Security Basics mailing list archives

log analyzer question

From: Michael Booxbaum Sardinas <michael.sardinas () worldlearning org>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:27:08 -0500

Hello all:

In one of my many job capacities I need to be working on securing two web servers (IIS 6 and iPlanet 6), as well as keeping track of a few win2k servers. In my quest, I have a need to easily monitor logs from all of these servers. As with many IT Departments I have no money, so I need to find a Free (as in Speech) log analyzer for me to use. For ease of use I would like to find one cross-platform log analyzer.

I have found Awstats and Snare, both which work on windows and *nix boxes. Has anybody had experience with these, or is there another I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

re1mage

--
"Why shouldn't we give our teachers a license to obtain software, all software, any software, for nothing? Does anyone demand a licensing fee, each time a child is taught the alphabet?" -- William Gibson.

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security professionals. Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in Information Security offered online. Recognized by the NSA as an academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en