Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: 543.rar attachment

From: Steven DeFord <security.willworker () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:54:53 -0800

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:13:03 -0600, Kinnell <kinnell.t () gmail com> wrote:
On the network I'm a member of we block all exe files sent inside the
rar or zip, so even if it is sent the file will be 0byted.  Wouldn't
that be a better method?  otherwise if you block all bz2, zip, rar,
etc... then you will block a lot of useful communication

-Kinnell

What about password-protected (encrypted) .zip archives?  Some common
virus propagation methods avoid detection by encrypting the virus in a
.zip archive and giving the user the password, telling the user to
decrypt the archive and run the virus (couched in persuasive terms).
Because of this, it can be hard to determine what's in a .zip file.
(I don't know anything about .rars.)

--
Steven DeFord
steve () singingtree com