Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Shell Logging Program

From: Alex Yuzhakoff <sibprogrammer () 54 ru>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:55:10 +0600

Hi ,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:08:04 -0700 (MST)
mkemp () cs nmsu edu wrote:

Hello,

      I was hoping that someone could help me out. I would be much
obliged.
      I need a shell program that will record what a user enters,
      write
it to a file (possibly in the user's home directory), a time stamp,
and, say, the first 100 characters of text that the command issued
produced. No control charachters should appear in the file. I've
concluded that a really long .history isn't good enough.
      I've been trying to write one using ptys but since I'm not so
great of a programmer, I'm hoping someone out there has already
written such a thing.

Maybe "script" can help you. Try to see "man script" for details.
But, first of all read the bugs section:
"The script utility places everything in the log file, including
linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects."

Best regards,
 Alex "SibProgrammer" Yuzhakoff, NOC,
 Internet of Siberia Co., Novosibirsk, Russia.
 Phone/Fax: (+7 3832) 11-92-82, http://www.ios.ru