Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Removing administrative rights [help Required]

From: <adisegna () siscocorp com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:25:42 -0500

I run into this problem a lot with software like QuickBooks. Have you
tried making the user a member of the Power Users group? I would try
that first. If that fails I give the user account modify rights to the
directory where the app is installed. Now, keep in mind that this
doesn't always work. Some software vendors aren't up to speed with the
Windows architecture and install a bunch of files that need modification
in the system folder.

I agree 100% users should not have admin rights to their computers. I
don't even allow my admins administrator rights. I give them the local
admin password and tell them to use RunAs.

Thanks

AD
Information Technology Group
Security Identification Systems Corporation