Security Basics mailing list archives

Your opinions on spyware, adware, spam, etc. and dealing with them

From: "Joe George" <j.george () conservation org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:49:45 -0400

Dear all,

It has been very informative and helpful hearing your opinions.  I'd
like to ask you all what are your thoughts on the various anti-security
threat software that is available out there?  I've read many articles
and tried out many such as spam filters (Spam assassin, Postini
products, Brightmail) anti-spyware apps like Xoftspy, Spybot,
MS-antispyware, Ad-aware, along with a myriad of others.  Some indeed
work better than others, and it is clear that it is necessary to use
more than one in a lot of cases. It seems though, that malware evolves
with the software used to remove it.  At one point, I felt I saw a light
at the end of the tunnel.

Implementing a security policy, restricting local admin access in
Windows environments along with implementing IDS, managed anti-virus
software, blacklists, and so forth work very well, but doesn't mean
intrusion can't take place.  Do you all feel it is a never-ending
battle?  What do you all feel is the next step in combatting MalWare?
How do you all feel about Federal authorities enacting legislation?
What do you think are the moral and ethical implications?  I have had
these questions on my mind awhile, !
 and I just wanted to get your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Best wishes,