Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing communication channel (FTP) - Need Suggestions

From: Joel Merrick <joel () joelmerrick com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:36:01 +0100

Vicky Rode wrote:

Hi,

Hi :) - Here's my 2 new pence worth..

(1) Secure FTP (SSL:FTPS)
- Any pitfalls I need to be aware of from a setup/implementation standpoint?

Pretty widely used, can use SSL certs

- How would the authentication to MySQL user database work?

How exactly do you mean?

You could use pam-mysql, for any PAM aware app.. http://sourceforge.net/projects/pam-mysql/

(2) Secure HTTP (https)
- Any pitfalls I need to be aware of from a setup/implementation standpoint?

Upload limits set by the http daemon, methods of posting data.

(3) a. Scp:
      b. Sftp: Is it an interactive program? Does it provide
non-interactive authentication?

Bit slower than the others (sometimes) - possibly higher encryption, can use keychains or passwordless logins for non interactive logins

h.t.h. (a bit!)
Joel