Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Checking when the OS was first installed

From: Times Enemy <times () krr org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:00:25 -0700

Greetings.

Not sure why, but i am assuming the OS is a Microsoft OS.

I would have to agree, that the creation date for the %systemroot% directory should indicate when the OS was installed. This may not work if the OS was upgraded significantly.

Some generic folders to check the creation date:
c:\%systemroot%
c:\%systemroot%\Config
c:\%systemroot%\Fonts
c:\%systemroot%\repair
c:\%systemroot%\system
c:\%systemroot%\system32
c:\program files
c:\program files\common files
c:\documents and settings\default user

Some files to check the creation date:
c:\io.sys
c:\msdos.sys
c:\pagefile.sys
c:\windows\setuplog.txt
c:\windows\winnt.bmp
c:\windows\winnt256.bmp
c:\windows\security\logs\backup.log # may have date inside as well as creation date # the 'c:\windows\security\logs' subdirectory may have several files of worth regarding install date
# the same goes for file creation dates within 'c:\windows\system32\config'
c:\windows\comsetup.log
c:\windows\debug\netsetup.log

et cetera.

This is not 100%, but it should work most of the time.

From a command prompt, XP Pro:

dir /tc <filename>

EXAMPLE: dir /tc c:\autoexec.bat

This controls which time field displayed or used for sorting, per 'dir /?'.

For hidden files:

dir /ah /tc <filename>

EXAMPLE: dir /ah /tc c:\io.sys

OR right-click file/folder, left-click properties.

If you do enough of these, you should be able to determine the installation date. There may be some simple command, registry entry, or the likes that keeps this information, specifically, and solely, but i do not know of it at this time.

FWIW, why do you care when the OS was installed?

.times enemy