Security Basics mailing list archives

How to secure /tmp and /dev/shm at linux?

From: "Monty Ree" <chulmin2 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:11:58 +0000

Hello, all.

I have found that lots of attackers using /tmp or /dev/shm to save and execute backdoor.
So I would like to secure this directory..

I opened /etc/fstab file and added noexec, nosuid option and remounted.

Additionally, how to about ro(read only) option at /dev/shm?
file creation is required at /dev/shm? I didn't see any files at this directory. So I think that ro option at this partition is good way against script kid.

Which method or solution is recommendable to secure /tmp or /dev/shm?

Thanks in advance.