Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Email Encryption

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:58:14 +0200

On 2005-07-25 Chris Griffin wrote:
Im trying to gather information on the best route to go with email
encryption.
I would just jump at PGP, but there are also Linux machines to be
involved. I was testing out WinPT/GPG, and that works well, but there
seem to be periodic glitches.
Since many of the people that will be involved in sending/recieving
encrypted company email are not technical, and some offsite, Id like
something that involved the least support possible.

Does anyone have any recomendations or sugestions?

We made very positive experiences with Thunderbird [1], Enigmail [2] and
GnuPG [3]. Configurations reside in text files in the users' profiles.
As an additional advantage it's cross-platform (runs at least on Linux,
Windows and Mac OS X).

We're using IMAP; I heard of some problems with POP3 and large inboxes
but can't confirm them.

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
[2] http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
[3] http://www.gnupg.org/

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."