Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to exploit snmp

From: "Kevin Wood" <kwood () exchangesolutions com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:28:13 -0400

By default the community string is set to public..It is generally
considered to be a bad idea to leave the community name set to public
because it allow people to query using snmp and get information about
your server..You should change the name and if possible have a change
processes in place that changes the community name once in a while..