Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitor ALL pc's (XP) via spy software?

From: David Ferreira <dferreira () izanet com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:56:33 +0200

Hey,

IMHO and if every PC has XP (better if SP2) I think all you need is a 2003 PDC and the right group policies. Terminal Server support pasive connection, every configuration is installed by default in all the domain machines that you want. You can see historial and limit software installation and you can restrict every kind of access to the local computer to the user. And why not, for monitoring URLs just configure a proxy and make it default by IE policy (or transparent proxy) you can use SQUID or an ISA Server (which is well integrated in Active Directory) Having 40+ Machines in your network I can't understand how you can live whichout aun AD Domain. It's the most fascist tool for system administration in a LAN ;)

Greetings,

David

I am looking for software that will let me monitor in REAL TIME, as
well as go back and see what happened on a pc at any time. I see quite
a few options out there and most seem to do the same thing which is
why I am writing this.

What do you guys recommend? I am looking for:

1) Something that can be deployed in the enterprise (40+ machines).
2) Able to connect from the network/LAN to monitor in REAL TIME - in a
way that is passive.
3) Able to go back and see what happened on the pc earlier in the day/week?
4) Able to monitor everything from one machine.
5) Option of logging urls they went to earlier etc.

What do you guys recommend?