Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: log analysis research

From: Andrew Pretzl <arp () norlight com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:37:24 -0500

Check out this site for some info -> http://www.loganalysis.org/
AP
-
=============================
Andrew Pretzl - CISSP
Security Administrator
Norlight Telecommunications
http://www.norlight.com
=============================
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

             345345 () gmail com

             PM                        security-basics () securityfocus com
                                                                        cc

                                                                    Fax to

                                                                   Subject
                                       log analysis research

Hello All,

I am doing a research for my Bachelor Final Work and I would like to ask
you some things about log analysis.
Basically, in this work I am writing, I am trying to find a way of doing
log analysis on a more efficient and safe basis:
- Efficient: trying to shorten the time sysadmins put (or should put) on
log analysing, i.e.  I am trying to use some techniques from other
fields of knowledge, e.g. artificial intelligence, for helping improve
the process of log analysis.
- Safe: using this techniques cannot hide any security relevant events
of create any side effect for using those techniques.

I ask you: Is someone doing something similar? If so, would you point me
some links of describe the ideas from your projects?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Jasho Mendinka.