Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: question about security logs

From: matt <matt () learnsecurityonline com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:52:19 +0100

Tahis Vera wrote:

Hi all, Pardon me if the question is too basic, but I wanted to know which
logs are the most important to check everyday for security purposes
(I'm using Linux Debian).
I check auth.log daily, and the accesses for some programs, but I read
some articles that say that there are logs that must be checked
regularly in the system in order to keep safe and identify possible
intrusions/activity in the network.

thanks

tahis

Hey,

On debian the main logs you will need to check are as follows:

/var/log/daemon.log - will in form you of information from daemons, such as wierd requests, you may be able to spot attempted intrusions or actual intrusions /var/log/kern.log - will spot kernel problems, failed kernel exploits or even successful with a sloppy attacker may be logged /var/log/debug - certain services may output debugging information here such as their start/stop status, this might spot unauthorised service restarts /var/log/messages - the main things to look out for here are unauthorised syslogd 1.4.1#10: restart.this would indicate an attacked may have restarted syslog /var/log/setuid.changes - this will indicate any mysterious new suid binaries that may have been introduced to your system

Whilst it may seem an impossible task on a highly active system, it is wise to keep track of as much activity on your server as is humanly possible and checking
these logs on a daily basis for events is one way.

Regards

Matt
info () learnsecurityonline com
http://www.learnsecurityonline.com