Security Basics mailing list archives

alexa - google toolbar behaviour

From: "Mehmet Buyukozer" <mbuyukozer () gmx co uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:10:56 +0300

Hi All

Lately, I saw several webserver statistics showing exact number of browsers
and operating system's that the visitors using so decided to analyze what my
browsers (IE, Opera, Mozilla) are sending to webservers. I was using google
toolbar and alexa toolbar addons on IE and when I checked what IE sending as
User-Agent, I saw the result in below. It might seem normal that Alexa adds
its print to IE's agent properties but I already disabled from "Add-on
Management" . And also another thing is www.k2pdf.com has anybody idea what
this comes from? Is there a way of hacking these headers from registry or
somewhere else?

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; www.k2pdf.com; SV1; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; Alexa Toolbar)

Another thing, as I already accepted the legal issues for google toolbar as
spyware, I was not expecting such a behaviour.

It sends all your surf information to google.

An example for this:
http://toolbarqueries.google.com/search?client=navclient-auto&googleip=O;130
2&ch=62317384429&iqrn=3neB&orig=0H8Hr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&features=Rank:FVN&q=
info:http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esonofnights%2Ecom%2F

Regards

Mehmet

www.sonofnights.com