Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pop before smtp ?

From: security () surefoot com
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:44:37 -0600

Hi Eduardo

On Monday 11 July 2005 06:20, Eduardo Kienetz <EK> wrote:
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate any comments (pros and cons) whether using Pop Before
Smtp auth scheme or SASL-based auth (pop/smtp auth separated).
I'd say it could be interesting to be able to disable one or another
(in case of a hosting company :) separately (smtp/pop), so, using
SASL-based auth.
The deal here is that I do have a client (hosting company) who is
willing to improve their services, through setting up a brand new mail
server. Now they use Pop Before Smtp, so moving to SASL-based would
mean telling each client (~500 domains hosted) they should change
their "outlook" account configuration to "My server requires
authentication". This would be a minor problem if it is for security
sake ;)
Of course this isn't the only reason to install a new mail server, but
is the one that is making us think.

Why not implement both for a transitional period of time? Dropping regular
reminder mails and instructions on how to adapt to the new smtp auth with the
various clients out there into the customers mailboxes would help... and with
logfiles you could narrow down the people who do not want to transition and
"help a little".

Worked for me (tm) ;)