Security Basics mailing list archives

Determining Physical location of machines

From: Kevin Willock <kevin () cipher1 com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:46:49 -0700

To further up this question, is there any method of determining the true location of a server/user behind a satelite uplink connection? I have contemplated some BGP or AS methods but have not formalized any game plans. Does anyone have any practical experience in this area?

-Kevin

Kevin Barzdaitis wrote:

Hello, all!

I have a situation here where specific services shall be offered ONLY to
specific countries. I think of blocking all IP addresses (on the firewall)
for specific servers and allowing only IP ranges by Country. I was wondering
if there exists publicly available list of "Country to IP ranges". I was
only able to find "IP to Country" mappings, but i need to check every
address specifically.

Thanks!